Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tsunami Scare!

2/26
11:00 pm - We learn there were two separate earthquakes, one in Japan, one in Chile. 

2/27
7:00 am - Terry wakes me and informs we are now on the highest level of Tsunami warning, happening is inevitable.  Texts/phone calls are coming in.

8:00 am - Dad, check.  Mom, check.  Both are staying put - feel like they are high enough to be out of danger.

8:30 am - "Ok, so what do we do now?"  We know we need to do SOMETHING.  So Terry and I venture in to town for some food and gas.  Gas first - station has waiting lines, but we are in and out within 10 mins.  They are sold out of everything but Supreme (coincidental), but we bite the bullet and pay the extra $10 to make sure we get the truck filled.  We were just glad they didn't jack the prices to $15 bucks a gallon or something crazy like that.  Foodland is fairly quiet considering, and the highest product in demand seems to be the already made coffee (Starbucks was closed by that time), the second, water. 

9:30 am - Go to the library to get the key for Special Meeting room for tomorrow and they have closed to go home and wait out the Tsunami.  After frantic thoughts cross my mind, I put my detectives cap on and thank goodness again that we live in a small town and can just look up the librarians name in the phone book and call her for the key.  Then I remember my neighbor volunteers at the Library, so I call her for advice on who to go to.  And just as it works, my neighbor has a key and we can go get it from her.  :)  So we head home with our friends (Sarash & Joe & family) following us.

10:00 am - We are glued to the live feed of Hilo Bay and newscast; a few more friends join us at home to wait out the Tsunami. 

11:40 am - The first "inhale" and "exhale" hits Hilo Bay.  Continues for another hour, 2nd and 3rd set gaining strength.

approx. 2 pm - The warning is called off, and we all collapse in to an exhausted heap to NAP.

The girls and I took Aunty Margaret out to see Waipio Valley, and what an awesome way to decompress, it sure settled the anxiety of the day!  :)  Can't wait for tomorrow - hope you all have a beautiful Sunday, I know we will!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Keala! the Blog is looking good - can you enable site feed on it - so I can see when you've updated. I think it's in some setting... Kale will know :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!