Tuesday, June 1, 2010

On our journey around this Big Island, we left tracks.

On our journey around the Big Island, we went from Waimea to Holualoa to Aunty V's for meeting, then on towards Volcano, and home through Hilo bringing us an almost complete path around the Big Island.  Terry hadn't done the trip before, and I can't even remember the last time I did.

The first stop, pics below, was new for me - I guess there is an animal sanctuary in south Kona and luckily enough, some of the animals were right near the gate next to the main road.  We saw some longhorns, buffalo, a zebra, and a donkey.  Cool!

Zebra and donkey were housed together in a pen - possibly to create a Zedonk e donk?
 I say white with black stripes in this instance.  :)
 Holding horns.
Great shot, Jo!
On the road to Ka Lae (South Point), the most southern point of the United States right here on the Big Island!
An old possibly abandoned wind farm?  There were only a few in the far distance that were spinning - all the rest stationary.

 One of the blowholes in the parking area.
One of the guys who was jumping came from the ocean side under the cliff to climb up through the hole.  He was having a tough time getting a grip on the rocks so eventually he had to swim to another opening.  As I always say, it's not the jump that scares me but the climb back up!
So really, how far would you go and how much would you risk for a couple extra feet?
Apparently it's worth it!  Woooohhoooo!!! 
What an absolutely stunning place to be.
Here we are down south!
Next stop, Punalu'u black sand beach.
Mens Room greeter.
Volcano!  The flow that we have been going to outside the park for years has been closed - the viewing area that we used to hike to has been covered over with a fresh flow of lava and is no longer accessible.  It's amazing to think of the times we spent there with friends, the photos and videos we have from there, and the fact it is no longer.  How temporary this earth is!
Visitors center, and the new model of the Big Island.
Thurston lava tube entrance.
Inside the tube.  
I remember this one conversation I had with a gentleman: he asked me how the lava gets to the ocean, and I told him it travels through tubes [much like the one in the pictures above].  "Really?" he replies.  "Who puts those in, the state or federal government?"  I had to chuckle, "Neither - they are naturally formed by the lava."
Hiking back.
Love buds.
Steam vents.
It was really clouded over when we first arrived to the new look out area which happens to be right outside Jagger Museum.  The crater that we used to walk through as children on school field trips now has an eruption coming out the center of it!
Brrr!  Freezing in Hawai'i!
Slowly clearing up...
Dad rocking his Beatles sweatshirt!  :-)
And out come the rainbows.  Three to be exact.  :-D
Night falls and after enjoying a view of the pond of lava, our weary travelers head home.  What a beautiful day this was - so special for us and how amazing!

Terry had his second interview today:  I'll keep y'all posted as to where and when as soon as we hear for sure.  Things are looking promising and we are excited!

Thinking of our workers returning to the Islands, the changes ahead, and trusting our future to the Fathers hands. 

Hope all is well with you and yours!!

Aloha,
Mrs. C

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post, sis; reminded me of small-kid days. :D Would love to do this when I'm home again with my fam, can't believe I haven't yet, considering the regular basis I recall mom dragging us out (usually when Gran was visiting)--I was bored back then, but precious memories now. :D Love you, and looking forward to the update! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, Keala, and great to see again several of the places we visited w/ Trisa. I do miss the islands--and I've only been there on 4 occasions!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!