I normally don't find it necessary to quote Eminem, but today's blog title popped in to my mind immediately.
Glad to be home, in the warm weather.
On Sunday, when we went to go pick up Grandma Sue from the airport (she is officially a resident of Kamuela, HI), Cali remembered AFTER we arrived there that she wanted to get a lei to welcome Grandma - what a sweetie; couldn't she have remembered this while we were at Costco and 2 orchid leis are only $13 bucks?? Luckily Mom's bags were taking a while to conveyor belt out, so she and Terry went back to wait at the baggage claim, while unbeknownst to them, I drove 5 minutes up the road to a place that I remembered sold leis. I bought my brother, Josh, all his graduation leis from there and hoped they were still open.
So, there is a little sign on the side of the road that simply states, Plumeria Leis -->. I follow the signs to a driveway of a home. Is this right? I want to buy leis and I'm driving up someone's driveway. Yup - all the signs point there. I arrive at the end of the driveway, where a simple cardboard sign is taped to a retired drink cooler - Plumeria Leis Here. I park & walk towards the unmanned refrigerator. The family is home, sitting at a table with the sliding glass door open. They wave hello and greet me without budging. In the refrigerator there are fragrant plumeria leis and a cardboard box with 10's, 5's, 1's and some change. Yes, unmanned money. Pay for your leis and make your own change. I select the plumeria lei with pink plumeria intervals - $5 for one lei - put my $10 in and take my $5 change. I shut the door, waiting for someone to come out and make sure I paid. No one comes, so I walk back towards the car and wave good-bye. "Aloha!” they say, not rising from the table. At that point my hearts bursts with another realization that I love living in Hawaii.
Grandma is settling in nicely – did all my laundry and kept Kawena happy. She’s so thrilled to be here, and I’m glad to have her! Cali was late for school today, since we all overslept. "We" spent a few hours yesterday finishing a mobile project - I swear teachers assign these projects so that parents can get craft time in every so often - and it turned out nicely. Terry is back in to swing of work - "Commander in Chief" at Hali'i Kai, and is happy that things are settling down.
Work is crazy, nothing new. Can't wait to get all caught up and organized. My colleague/assistant gave her notice today; but everything has happened for a reason. She has committed herself to sticking around for at least the next 3 weeks while we get settled in to our new space. I love what she has helped me with thus far, and wish her nothing but the best.
Hope all is well there! Love and miss you, Washingtonians!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!!